Do you ever feel fatigued and feel like you could do with more sleep? You’re definitely not alone. Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial for overall health and wellbeing. Unfortunately, many people struggle to get the recommended seven to eight hours of quality sleep. That often leads to feeling tired and grumpy during the day, not to mention a number of long-term health problems.
But did you know that burning palo santo before bed can provide some very real benefits to your health, wellbeing and possibly even sleep?
Palo santo is said to have cleansing and healing effects. It’s been used by South Americans for centuries to cleanse negative energy and promote a sense of well-being. Some people also believe that burning palo santo sticks before bed can help you sleep better.
There are many ways to get a good night’s sleep, but should burning palo santo before bed be one? Some people claim that it helps with anxiety, stress, insomnia, and other sleep issues. But does it work?
In this article, we will explore how burning palo santo before bed might affect your sleep and overall health. And if you’re interested in trying it, we’ll explain how to get started. So let’s begin!
But First: What Is Palo Santo?
Palo santo, also known as Bursera Graveolens in Spanish, means ‘’holy wood’’. It is mostly harvested in South America and parts of Central America. This plant belongs to the citrus family and usually has an earthy, woody fragrance with undertones of pine, lemon, and mint.
Since ancient times, shamans and healers have been using the energizing and healing powers of palo santo to cleanse the air and get rid of bad energy. There isn’t a lot of scientific evidence or research to back up these claims of course. Nonetheless, indigenous peoples have been using palo santo for centuries.
In the last few years, palo santo has gained popularity around the world for its healing properties. It usually comes in three forms such as wood, resin, and essential oil. The wood of palo santo is commonly available in powder form, sticks, or as tiny wood chips which are burnt by people for its aroma and supposed benefits such as reducing anxiety, stress, or, as we will explain, helping with sleep.
For years palo santo has also been used as a natural remedy for colds and flu, as well as for relaxation. It is also thought to aid in the treatment of asthma, headaches, anxiety, depression, and inflammation. There may be some truth to this as palo santo has anti-oxidants which can reduce inflammation – more on that later. It is also believed by some to benefit the immunological and nervous systems, leading to fast recovery.
Despite the lack of scientific proof to support many of these claims, palo santo has gained widespread interest globally in a short period. However, how does this affect our general health? What are the effects of burning palo santo before bed? Let’s dive into that right now!
Burning Palo Santo Before Bed: How It Affects Your Sleep
Every day, we go about our lives and often don’t realize the importance of sleep until we start to feel the effects of a poor night’s sleep. There’s no denying that sleep is important. But where does palo santo come in? Well according to several research publications, some scents may help you relax and ultimately make it easier for you to fall asleep.
Few people think about scent when they think of sleep but it actually has a significant impact on sleep. Certain scents may even help you sleep better, wake up easier, and impact your dreams and memory development while you sleep.
Many people swear by the benefits of palo santo, especially when it comes to using its aroma to help with sleep. In fact it is often recommended for those who suffer from insomnia or other issues related to poor sleep.
Therefore if you suffer from anxiety, unpleasant nightmares, or insomnia, using palo santo before bed may help you sleep better and wake up feeling rejuvenated.
It’s certainly worth a try, particularly as research has seen evidence that pleasant aromas – like that of palo santo – can help with sleep in those suffering from PTSD. Plus there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence out there from insomnia sufferers regarding how their sleep has improved when trying out palo santo before bed.
How to Burn Palo Santo Before Bed
Palo santo is an aromatic wood that is often burned as an incense stick. The smoke from the burning wood is said to have cleansing and purifying properties and is said to release negative energy and promote a sense of well-being.
It’s also believed to reduce stress, and due to the sweet, earthy smell that it emits when burnt there is the possibility it could help you relax and fall asleep.
If you are looking to try it out, then here’s how you burn palo santo before bed:
1. Burn the palo santo in an area where there is good ventilation.
2. Simply ignite a Palo Santo stick.
3. Let it burn for about 30 seconds.
4. You can even move around your house with the stick to purify the air around you and spread the aromatic smell around.
5. Once you’re done, you can sit and meditate for a few minutes allowing yourself to calm down.
6. This will help you relax and have a clear mind. All of which also helps your body prepare for sleep.
Some General Effects of Palo Santo
Limonene, which has strong antimicrobial properties, is found in Palo Santo. But other than helping in combating stress and anxiety, it also has some other benefits such as helping with cold, flu and allergies. Here are some of them:
- Since it is believed that it reduces inflammation, it can also be used for enhancing immunity and gut health. In fact palo santo has been shown to reduce inflammation and the body’s sensitivity to histamines. It is effective against seasonal allergies, intestinal problems, and even asthma symptoms.
- Palo santo’s soothing, calming scent stimulates the mind’s olfactory system which further aids in relaxation and also brings clarity of mind. Thus promoting better concentration and focus.
- Palo santo has historically been used to treat common colds, headaches, and anxiety. While clinical research of its therapeutic properties is lacking, it is full of antioxidants and limonene that has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It can also be used as a natural bug repellent to drive away insects such as mosquitoes, etc.
- It may boost the body’s energy levels, promote calm, and also alleviate stress-related symptoms such as stress, tension, and restlessness.
Palo santo does not appear to have any significant adverse effects. But in case you’ve any breathing issues such as asthma, etc. you must speak to a doctor before deciding to use it.
Our Final Thoughts
If you’re looking for a natural way to improve your sleep, palo santo may be the answer for you. Burning palo santo before bed has been shown to help improve sleep quality for some, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve mental clarity.